Here is a daily bulletin by PoliticSCOPE from newspapers, blogs and TV reports for News Ticker: Saturday, November 17, 2012. The soul purpose of PoliticSCOPE is to make available a news pane for its readers, saving their precious time.
- The Samajwadi Party on Friday released a list of 55 candidates from Uttar Pradesh for 2014 Lok Sabha polls. SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav will contest from Mainpuri while his daughter-in-law and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s wife Dimple Yadav will be the candidate from Kannauj.
- On implementing Foreign Direct Investigation the government on Friday asserted that it was ready to face any situation, including a no-confidence motion in parliament.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has invited BJP top brass for dinner on Saturday in a bid to reach out to Opposition before the winter session of Parliament.
- Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray’s condition is improving but still remains critical. However, hundreds of party workers and supporters are staying at ’Matoshree’.
- Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has said that public health system in the country had been “collapsed”. He said that health facilities were even better in poorer countries like Bangladesh and Kenya.
- The National Commission for Women will take up the issue of death of Indian dentist in Ireland with the External Affairs Ministry. Also, the Irish envoy was summoned by by the government on Friday.
- The popular energy drink ’5-Hour Energy’ is being investigated by the FDA after 13 deaths over the last four years in US.
- Greeting the members of the Press on National Press Day, the Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh appealed to the media to act responsibly to maintain social harmony.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has called up Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to discuss the law and order situation in the state after fresh incidents of violence.
- California based physician Ami Bera has repeated has been elected to the US Congress. 60 years back Dalip Singh Saund created history when he became the first Indian American to be elected to the US Congress.
- The tragic death of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar in Ireland has brought the debate for amendment in Irish laws. Savita died as Irish hospital refused abortion in the name of existing laws.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has notified that any sexual act with a child below 18 as a punishable offence.
- The Bombay High Court has observed that a dying declaration cannot be the sole criteria for conviction. The court said that in case of two contrasting views, the one favourable to the accused should be adopted.
- Noted astrologer and family priest of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, Pandit Ramesh Tiwari was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Jaunpur (UP) on Thursday.
- Petrol prices have been cut by 95 paisa per litre with effect from Thursday midnight.
You may also read :